- A displaced employee will be transferred to any vacancy with equivalent FTE status in his/her classification in his/her home department. For the purpose of this section, the following shall be considered “departments”:
Agriculture, Weights and Measures
Assessor, County-Clerk Recorder & Chief Elections Officer
Board of Supervisors
Child Support Services
County Managers Office/Clerk of the Board
Fire Protection Services
Health System – San Mateo Medical Center
Health System – All Other Health
Human Resources Department
Human Services Agency
Information Services Department
Planning and Building
Tax Collector/Treasurer/Revenue Services
If no vacancy with equivalent FTE status exists in the employees classification in the home department an employee shall have the
- right to interview for any other vacancies, County-wide, in his/her classification, or other classifications for which he/she has bumping rights. Employees who choose this option shall have a list of all vacancies provided by the County. The County will arrange for interviews for vacancies in which the employee is interested.
- Employees who are notified that they will be laid off shall have the choice to:
- Take a voluntary demotion within the same department to any classification, at the employee’s discretion, in which the employee had prior probationary or permanent status provided such a position is held by an employee with less seniority.
- On a departmental basis, displace the employee in the same classification having the least seniority in County service. Displaced employees may request the Human Resources Director to place the employee’s name on the promotional eligible list or open eligible list for any classification for which, in the Human Resources Director’s opinion, the employee is qualified. The employee’s name will be above the names of persons who have not been displaced, ranked in the order specified in subsection 14.3.
- Pursuant to Rule XI, Sections 11 and 12 of the Civil Service Rules as revised, an employee may, with the approval of the Human Resources Director and the department head, demote or transfer to a vacant position for which he/she possesses the necessary skills and fitness.
- A transfer, for layoff purposes is defined as a change from one position to another in the same classification or in another classification, the salary range of which is not more than ten percent (10%) higher.
- Part-time employees shall not displace full-time employees, unless the part-time employee has held full-time status in the classification.
- In addition to all other options, employees in classifications at risk of being eliminated, as determined by the affected department head, may also be placed on the reinstatement list.