This side letter agreement between County of San Mateo (hereinafter referred to as the “County”) and the Probation Detention Association (hereinafter referred to as the “Association”) (hereinafter collectively referred to as the “parties”) shall confirm certain understandings reached in a meet and confer that took place on September 25, 2017, for a Memorandum of Understanding covering the period of May 22, 2016 through May 19, 2019.
Effective the first pay period following Board of Supervisors approval, employees in the Group Supervisor II or Group Supervisor III classifications when assigned by an Institution Services Manager (ISM) to act as “Officer of the Day” (OD) shall receive a 5.74% differential pay, in addition to all other compensation for all hours worked as OD. There will only be one employee at a time assigned to be OD in each facility.
An employee can only be assigned Officer of the Day if the following conditions are met:
1. There is no ISM or other management employee available in the building/facility, e.g., ISM is at an offsite meeting or training, on vacation or sick and not replaced by another manager, etc. and the employee has been assigned to be OD by a management employee.
2. Employee is currently not receiving a Training Differential except in emergency situations AND with approval from the Chief Probation Officer or his/her designee.
Management will monitor appropriate use of OD Pay through monthly reviews of pay usage, cross referenced against OD reports. Employees cannot receive OD Pay and Work Out of Class Pay at the same time.
SOME EXAMPLES OF ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE “OFFICER OF THE DAY” INCLUDE:
1. Act as unit Supervisor and direct activities and staff of the unit during the period designated as OD.
2. Acknowledge late/tardy/sick calls and fills out unscheduled absence form.
3. Ensure staffing compliance and document changes on the Mystery Sheets.
4. First point of contact for any emergency within the Institution. Respond to emergencies following established procedures. Approves the use of the Safety Room.
5. Approves authorization for any new intakes/bookings and releases.
6. Prepare all necessary reports and paperwork, including but not limited to, OD reports, court reports, daily meal counts, review and verify security checks, review and sign off on incident reports.
The foregoing is in accordance with the parties’ understanding.
APPROVED AND ACCEPTED
FOR THE COUNTY FOR THE ASSOCIATION