(1) Employees who are laid off shall have the choices to:
(a) Take a voluntary demotion within the same department to a classification in which the employee had prior probationary or permanent status provided such a position is held by an employee with less seniority.
(b) On a departmental basis, displace the employee in the same classification having the least seniority in County service.
(2) A displaced employee may request the Director of Human Resources to place his/her name on the promotional eligible list or open eligible list for any classification for which, in the Human Resource Director’s opinion, the employee is qualified. The employee’s name will be above the names of persons who have not been displaced, ranked in the order specified in subsection 12.2.
(3) Pursuant to Rule XI, Sections 11 and 12 of the Civil Service Rules as revised, an employee may, with the approval of the Human Resources Director and the department head, demote or transfer to a vacant position for which he/she possesses the necessary skills and qualifications.
(4) A transfer, for layoff purposes, is defined as a change from one position to another in the same classification or in another classification, the salary range of which is not more than one step higher.
(5) Part-time employees shall not displace full-time employees, unless the part-time employee has held full-time status in the classification.
(6) In addition to all other options, employees in classifications at risk of being eliminated, as determined by the affected department head, may also be placed on the reinstatement list.