The purpose of the handbook is:
- To provide a basis for training all supervisors and managers in the basics of Employee & Labor Relations
- To provide uniform Employee & Labor Relations references, examples, and procedures and,
- To provide an easy-to-use reference to serve as a first point of information whenever a supervisor or manager is faced with an Employee Relations or Labor Relations issue.
The handbook was designed to provide the user with a maximum amount of information in an easy to use format. Each major topic (e.g., “probationary employees,” “leaves of absence,” “Skelly Process,” etc.) is discussed first in an introductory paragraph, followed by answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding that topic.
There are also links to:
- Forms at http://intranet.co.sanmateo.ca.us and http://hr.smcgov.org/
- County policies, sample letters, and descriptive charts at http://hr.smcgov.org/county-policies
This handbook is a source of information, but it should not solely be relied upon. Each Employee & Labor Relations issue you face will have unique circumstances. You are encouraged to discuss such issues with your manager and your Employee & Labor Relations representative .