The holidays for the County are:
- January 1 (New Year’s Day)
- Third Monday in January (Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday)
- February 12 * (Lincoln’s Birthday)
- Third Monday in February (Washington’s Birthday)
- Last Monday in May (Memorial Day)
- July 4 (Independence Day)
- First Monday in September (Labor Day)
- Second Monday in October** (Columbus Day/Indigenous Peoples Day)
- November 11 (Veterans Day)
- Fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day)
- Friday following Thanksgiving Day
- December 25 (Christmas)
- Every day appointed by the President of the United States or the Governor of the State of California to be a day of public mourning, thanksgiving, or holiday. The granting of such holidays shall be discretionary with the Board of Supervisors.
** Effective February, 2001, the Lincoln’s Birthday holiday shall be eliminated and replaced with a floating holiday (8 hours of holiday time) which will accrue on February 12.
If the legislature or the Governor appoints a date different from the one shown above for the observance of one of these holidays, then San Mateo County shall observe the holiday on the date appointed by the Legislature or the Governor.