- General Provisions
- Qualifying: Only permanent or probationary employees occupying permanent positions are eligible for leaves of absence without pay under the provisions of this Section.
- Application for and Approval of Leaves of Absence Without Pay: In order to receive leave without pay, an employee must submit a request on the prescribed form to his/her department head describing the reasons for the request and all other information required for the department head, or his/her representative, to evaluate the request.
- Granting of Leaves of Absence Without Pay: An appointing authority may grant leave of absence without pay for up to a maximum of two (2) biweekly pay periods. Leaves of absence of more than two (2) biweekly pay periods must be approved by the Human Resources Director and shall be subject to review by the County Manager, whose ruling shall be final.
- Leaves of Absence Without Pay For Non-Job Incurred Illness or Injury: Leaves of Absence without pay on account of illness or injury which are not job incurred may be granted for a maximum period of twenty-six (26) full biweekly pay periods. This includes disabilities caused or contributed to by pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, childbirth, and recovery therefrom. Such leaves will be granted only after all accrued sick leave credits have been used and shall be substantiated by a physician’s statement.
- Leaves of Absence Without Pay for Personal Reasons: Leaves of absence without pay on account of personal reasons unrelated to illness or injury (including but not limited to being employed on a full-time basis by the Union(s) signatory to this Memorandum) may be granted for a maximum period of thirteen (13) full biweekly pay periods. Such leaves shall only be granted after all accrued vacation and holiday credits have been used; however, an employee may request in case of personal emergency, including an emergency relating to the non-disability portion of maternity leave, that one (1) week’s vacation be retained. The decision of the Human Resources Director shall be final.
- Leaves of Absence Without Pay for Union Work: Leaves of absence without pay to take employment with the Union signatory to this MOU may be granted for a maximum period of thirteen (13) full biweekly pay periods. Employees are entitled to retain any accrued vacation and holiday credits while on such leaves.
In the event that an employee on approved Union leave want to continue group benefits coverage (including medical, dental, vision and life insurance) through the County plans, arrangements will be made for the Union to reimburse the County for the costs associated with continuing such coverage.
- Parental Leave: An employee/parent of either sex may be granted a leave of absence without pay for the purpose of fulfilling parenting responsibilities during the period of one (1) year following the child’s birth, or one (1) year following the filing of application for adoption and actual arrival of child in the home. Such leave shall be for a maximum period of thirteen (13) biweekly pay periods. Use of accrued vacation, sick, compensatory time or holiday credits shall not be a pre-condition for the granting of such parental leave. Employees who must assume custody of a minor will be eligible for parental leave.