(1) Open Exams: Any person meeting the minimum qualifica¬tions for the job class may compete.
(2) General Promotional Exams: Permanent and probationary employees who have served at least six months in such status prior to the date of the exam are eligible to compete. Persons who have been laid off and whose names are on a re¬employment list are also eligible provided they had served at least six months prior to layoff.
(3) Departmental Promotional Exams: Permanent and probation¬ary employees of the department in which a promotional opportunity exists who have served at least six months in such status prior to the date of the exam are eligible to compete. Persons who have been laid off and whose names appear on the appropriate departmental reemployment eligible list are also eligible provided they had served at least six months prior to layoff.
(4) Open and Promotional Exams: Any person meeting the minimum qualifications for the job class may compete. In addition, any person competing in this type of an exam who meets the criteria described in (2) above, shall have 5 points added to the final passing score.
(5) Qualifying Exams: Qualifying exams may be given to probationary and permanent employees for specifically designed position reclassifications, transfers, demotions, and alternately staffed classifications.
The name of an employee who has successfully passed a qualifying exam shall be placed on the eligible list for the class for which examined. The Director may place the employee on such eligible list with or without an exam score. If an exam score is assigned, such employee’s rank on that eligible list shall be based on the exam score, as determined by the Director. Such exams shall not require the publica¬tion of an examination notice.
(6) Veterans preference shall not apply to promotional exams.