The Civil Service Commission hears appeals to dismissals, demotions, or suspensions of employees; reviews requests for extension of eligible lists, allocates new or revised job classifications to an appropriate bargaining unit for employee/employer relation purposes. The 5-member Commission meets the first Thursday of the month in Redwood City.
The amended Civil Service Commission Rules contained herein were adopted on June 4, 2009.
They are published for the information and guidance of all concerned.
Civil Service Commission
- Note: The Commission revised Rule IV, Sections 2 and 4A, on February 4, 2000.
- Note: The Commission revised Rule V, Section 2, on February 4, 2000.
- Special Note: It has been the practice of the County to allow veterans preference only upon initial entry into the classified system. This practice is in accordance with the Commission’s intent.
- Note: The Commission revised Rule VIII, Section 7, on February 4, 2000.
The Commission added Rule VIII, Section 5, Part G, on July 23, 2001.
- Civil Service Commission updated Civil Service Rule XIV, Section 17 B – February 4, 2010
For more information about the Commission, please visit http://bnc.smcgov.org/civil-service-commission