The goal of this policy is to encourage and increase the use of environmentally preferable products and services in San Mateo County. By including environmental considerations in procurement decisions, San Mateo County can promote practices that improve public and worker health, conserve natural resources, and reward environmentally conscious manufacturers, while remaining fiscally responsible.
The policy objectives are to:
- Expand the procurement of environmentally preferable products;
- Identify environmentally preferable alternatives;
- Recommend as goals for San Mateo County operations, the adoption of alternative processes, where practicable, that will reduce the use and disposal of hazardous substances as well as promote resource conservation; and
- Collect and maintain up-to-date information regarding manufacturers, suppliers, and other sources for locating plus ordering environmentally preferable products.
– See more at: Environmental Procurement Policy