• Salary Ranges

The salary ranges for all employees in the aforementioned representation units will be as set forth in the Exhibits which are attached hereto and made a part hereof.

The rates of pay set forth in the Exhibits represent for each classification the standard biweekly rate of pay for full-time employment. The rates of pay set forth in the Exhibits represent the total compensation due employees, except for overtime compensation and other benefits specifically provided for by the Board of Supervisors or by this Memorandum of Understanding.

The rates of pay set forth in the Exhibits do not include reimbursement for actual and necessary expenses for traveling, subsistence, and general expenses authorized and incurred incident to County employment.

Effective February 24, 2019, there shall be a four percent (4%) cost of living adjustment plus a one percent (1%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of five percent (5%) for all represented classifications excluding those in the Human Services Unit.

The Parties acknowledge that the additional one percent (1%) equity in 2019 for all represented classifications was negotiated in lieu of the County’s proposed Winter Recess and increased vacation accruals.

Effective February 24, 2019, equity adjustments to individual job classifications shall be applied in the amounts listed below:

Job Classification % increase
Environmental Health Technician I 4.30%
Environmental Health Technician II 4.30%
Lead Environmental Health Tech 4.30%
Pharmacist 4.40%
Pharmacy Lead 4.40%
Supervising Pharmacist 4.40%
Pharmacy Technician 8.60%
Medical Laboratory Technician 0.70%
Respiratory The�apist I 0.70%
Respiratory Therapist II 0.70%
Respiratory Therapist III 0.70%
Stationary Engineer I 2.00%
Stationary Engineer II 2.00%
Supervising Stationary Engineer 2.00%
Clinical Lab Scientist I 1.00%
Clinical Lab Scientist II 1.00%
Supervising Clinical Lab Scientist 1.00%

For the Human Services Unit, effective March 24, 2019, there shall be a four percent (4%) cost of living adjustment plus a one percent (1%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of five percent (5%) for all represented classifications in the Human Services Unit.

Effective March 24, 2019, equity adjustments to individual job classifications shall be applied in the amounts listed below:

Job Classification % increase
Supervising Mental Health Clinicians 0.68%
Psychiatric Social Worker I 5.79%
Psychiatric Social Worker II 5.79%
Marriage Family Therapist I 5.79%
Marriage Family Therapist II 5.79%

Effective October 6, 2019, there shall be a two percent (2%) cost of living adjustment plus a two percent (2%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of 4%) for all represented classifications.

Effective October 4, 2020, there shall be a three percent (3%) cost of living adjustment all represented classifications.

Longevity Pay

Effective February 24, 2019 (for all represented classifications excluding those in the Human Services Unit), and effective March 24, 2019 (for all represented classifications in the Human Services Unit), longevity pay shall be paid as follows:

  • One percent (1%) of base salary after the equivalent of five (5) years of full time County service (10,400 hours).
    • An additional one and one-half percent (1.5%) of base salary (for a total of two and one half percent (2.5%)) after the equivalent of ten (10) years of full time County service (20,800 hours)
    • An additional one and one-half percent (1.5%) of base salary (for a total of four percent (4%)) after the equivalent of twenty (20) years of full time County service (41,600 hours)
    • An additional two percent (2%) of base salary (for a total of six percent (6%)) after the equivalent of twenty-five (25) years of full time County service (52,000 hours).
  • Entrance Salary

Except as herein otherwise provided, the entrance salary for a new employee entering County service shall be the minimum salary for the class to which they are appointed. When circumstances warrant, the Human Resources Director may upon recommendation of the department head approve an entrance salary which is more than the minimum salary. The Human Resources Director’s decision shall be final. Such a salary may

not be more than the maximum salary for the class to which that employee is appointed unless such salary is designated as a “Y” rate by the Board of Supervisors.

  • Salary Step Increases

schedule for their respective classes based on hours served in that classification as defined below. All increases shall be effective at the beginning of the next full pay period. Salary range adjustments for a classification will not set a new salary anniversary date for workers serving in that classification.

Hours of Service Necessary for Step Increases

  1. After completion of 1040 regular hours satisfactory service in Step A of the salary schedule, and upon recommendation of the appointing authority, the employee shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule for the classification. If an employee is appointed at a step higher than the first step of the salary range for that classification, the first merit increase shall be after completion of 2080 regular hours of satisfactory service.
  2. After the completion of 2080 regular hours of satisfactory service in each of the salary steps above A, and upon recommendation of the appointing authority, the employee shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule for the classification until the top of the range is reached.
  3. If an employee completes the 1040 or 2080 hours in the middle of a pay period, the employee shall be eligible for an increase as follows:
    1. if the merit increase period is completed during the first week of a pay period the increase will be made effective with the start of the then current pay period.
    1. if the merit increase period is completed during the second week of a pay period the increase will be made effective with the start of the next pay period.
  4. If an operating department verifies in writing that an administrative or clerical error was made in failing to submit the documents needed to advance an employee to the next salary step on the first pay period when eligible, said advancement shall be made retroactive to the first pay period when eligible. This section also applies to fully flexibly staffed promotions in which case the advancement shall be made retroactive to the first pay period when approved by the appointing authority.

Special Merit Increases

Upon recommendation of the appointing authority and approval by the Human Resources Director, employees may receive special merit increases at intervals other than those specified in this Section. The Human Resources Director’s decision shall be final. Changes in an employee’s salary because of promotion, upward reclassification, postponement of salary step increase, or special merit increase will set a new salary advancement hours balance for that employee.

Salary Step if Rejected During Promotional Probation

Employees who are rejected during the probationary period and revert to their former classification shall return to the salary advancement hours balance held in the former class unless otherwise determined by the Human Resources Director. The salary advancement hours balance for an employee shall not be affected by a transfer, downward reclassification or a demotion.

General Salary Range Adjustments

Salary range adjustments for a classification will not set a new salary advancement hours balance for employees serving in that classification.

Prior Service Credits

  1. A permanent employee accepting provisional employment in a higher or different class in the County Classified Service, and who reverts to the former classification, shall retain the salary advancement hours balance in the former class on the same basis as if there had been no such provisional appointment.
  • Upon recommendation of the appointing authority and approval by the Human Resources Director, provisional and temporary employees shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule upon completion of the periods of service prescribed in this Section, provided that their service has been satisfactory. Continuous service in provisional, temporary, seasonal or extra-help capacity shall be added to service in a regular established position for the purpose ofdetermining an employee’s salary anniversary date, eligibility for salary increases, as well as vacation and sick leave accrual.

However, such service may not be added if it preceded a period of over twenty-eight (28) consecutive calendar days during which the employee was not in a pay status, except when the employee is absent from his/her position by reason ofan injury or disease for which they are entitled to and currently receiving Workers’ Compensation benefits.

  • Salary Step When Salary Range is Revised

Whenever the salary range for a class is revised, each incumbent in a position to which the revised schedule applies shall remain at the same step as in the previous range, unless otherwise specifically provided by the Board of Supervisors.

  • Salary Step After Promotion

When an employee is promoted from a position in one class to a position in a higher class and at the time of promotion is receiving a base salary equal to, or greater than, the minimum base rate for the higher class, that employee shall be entitled to the next step in the salary schedule of the higher class which is at least one step above the rate they have.been receiving, except that the next step shall not exceed the maximum salary ofthe higher class.

  • Salary Step After Demotion

When an employee is demoted, whether such demotion is voluntary or otherwise, that employee’s compensation shall be adjusted to the salary prescribed for the class to which demoted, and the specific rate of pay within the range shall be determined by the Human Resources Director, whose decision shall be final; provided, however, that the Board of Supervisors may provide for a rate of pay higher than the maximum step of the schedule for the employee’s classification, and designate such rate of pay as “Y” rate (see Section 5 .8), and also provided that an employee demoted as a result of abolition of position shall be placed at the salary step in the lower classification which most closely approximates (but does not exceed) his/her salary in the higher classification.

If an employee takes a voluntary demotion to a classification previously held, the employee shall be placed at the same step in that classification which the employee held last. The employee’s service time at such step shall be the same as the service time held at such step previously.

In order to further the movement from lower-level to higher-level careers, an employee taking a voluntary demotion to a classification in the higher series (e.g., clerical empioyee to Eligibility Worker I classification) shall be placed at the salary step in the new salary range which most closely approximates such employee’s salary in the prior classification.

  • Reclassification of Position

An employee in a position reclassified to a lower classification shall have the right ofeither: (1) transferring to a vacant position in his/her present classification in the same or another department, provided the head ofthe department into which the transfer is proposed agrees, or (2) continuing in the same position in the lower

classification at a “Y” rate of pay when the incumbent’s pay is higher than the maximum step of the salary range for the lower classification.

  • “Y” Rate Process Upon Reclassification

When an employee is reclassified downward, they shall continue in his/her present salary range, with cost of living adjustments, for two years, at which point the employee’s salary shall be frozen (“Y” – rated) until the salary assigned to the lower classification equals or exceeds such “Y” rate. The “Y” rate provisions of this Section shall not apply to layoffs, demotions, or other personnel actions resulting in an incumbent moving from one position to another.

  • · Salary Step Defined

For purposes of salary administration in this contract a step is defined as 5.74%.

  • Classification and Compensation Review

No later than July 1, 2019, the County will contract with a consultant to provide a review of:

  1. The comparable agencies that have historically been used by the County for classification and compensation analysis and the identification of other comparable agencies for consideration by the County for this purpose;
  2. Existing benchmark classifications; and
  3. Compensation elements used in surveys that provide for a total compensation analysis. No later than October 1, 2019, the consultant will prepare a report and provide the following:
  4. Information on the typical factors that indicate comparability of agencies in classification and compensation studies including the number of comparable agencies needed to result in a valid data sample;
  5. Recommendations of comparable agencies for inclusion by the County during classification and compensation studies, using identified comparability factors;
  6. Best practices for determining benchmark classifications within a classification structure; an
  7. Recommendations of benchmark methodology for future classification and compensation studies.

The County will provide the consultant’s final report to the Union, and shall allow the Union the opportunity to provide input. Following Board adoption of any resulting changes to the County’s Compensation policy, the revised Compensation policy shall apply to compensation studies conducted during the term ofthe agreement.

In accordance with this tentative agreement, the Union withdraws all proposals to remove Contra Costa County from the list of County comparative jurisdictions in County salary surveys.