All unit members, except extra help, shall accrue sick leave at the rate of 3.7 hours for each biweekly pay period of full-time work. Such accrual shall be prorated for any unit member, except extra help, who work less than full time during a calendar month. For the purpose of this Section absence in a pay status shall be considered work.
Unit members are entitled to be paid for sick leave used, to a maximum of the time accrued, under the following conditions:
(1) The unit member’s illness, injury or exposure to contagious disease which incapacitates him/her from performance of duties. This includes disabilities contributed to by pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, childbirth and recovery therefrom as determined by a licensed physician, or, under the Kaiser plan, a licensed health care professional.
(2) The unit member’s receipt of required medical or dental care or consultation.
(3) The unit member’s attendance on a member of the immediate family who is ill.
(4) The unit member’s preparation for or attendance at the funeral of a member of the immediate family.
For purposes of this Section immediate family means parent, spouse, domestic partner, son, daughter, sibling, step-child, mother-in-law, father-in-law, grandparent or grandchild.
15.3 Procedures for Requesting and Approving Sick Leave
When the requirement for sick leave is known in advance of the absence, unit members shall request authorization for sick leave at such time, in the manner hereinafter specified. In all other instances unit members shall notify their supervisor as promptly as possible by telephone or other means. Before unit members may be paid for the use of accrued sick leave they shall complete and submit to their department head a signed statement, on a prescribed form, stating the dates and hours of absence, the exact reason, and such other information as is necessary for his/her request to be evaluated. If a unit member does not return to work prior to preparation of the payroll, other arrangements may be made with the approval of the department head and the Controller. The department head may require a physician’s statement from a unit member who applies for sick leave, or make whatever investigation into the circumstances that appears warranted before taking action on the request.
15.4 Accounting for Sick Leave
Sick leave may be used in increments no smaller than six (6) minutes. Payment for sick leave used shall be at the unit member’s base pay plus applicable differential, if any, as provided in Section 32.
When a unit member who has been working in an extra help category is appointed to a permanent position such appointee may receive credit for such extra help period of service in computing accumulated sick leave, provided that no credit shall be given for service preceding any period of more than twenty-eight (28) consecutive calendar days in which a unit member was not in a pay status.
If a unit member who has unused sick leave accrued is laid off and subsequently reemployed in a permanent position, such sick leave credits shall be restored to him/her upon reemployment. The unit member shall not have any portion of sick leave credits restored for which he/she received compensation at the time of or subsequent to the day of layoff.
15.6 Incapacity to Perform Duties
If the appointing authority has been informed through a doctor’s report of a medical examination that a unit member is not capable of properly performing his/her duties, he/she may require the unit member to absent himself/herself from work until the incapacity is remedied. During such absence the unit member may utilize any credits for sick leave, vacation and compensatory time which he/she may have accrued.
15.7 Use of Sick Leave While on Vacation
A unit member who is injured or who becomes ill while on vacation may be paid for sick leave in lieu of vacation provided that the unit member:
(1) was hospitalized during the period for which sick leave is claimed, or
(2) received medical treatment or diagnosis and presents a statement indicating illness or disability signed by a physician covering the period for which sick leave is claimed, or
(3) was preparing for or attending the funeral of a member of the immediate family.
No request to be paid for sick leave in lieu of vacation will be considered unless such request is made and the above substantiation is provided within twenty (20) working days of the unit member’s return to work.
15.8 Sick Leave During Holidays
Paid holidays shall not be considered as part of any period of sick leave, unless the unit member is scheduled to work on that holiday.
15.9 Sick Leave for Child Birth and Adoption
Unit members may use up to thirty (30) working days of accrued sick leave following the birth of a child to their spouse or when adopting a child.
- Bereavement Leave
- The County will provide up to two (2) days paid bereavement leave upon the death of an employee’s parent, spouse, domestic partner, child or step-child. In addition, employees may utilize accrued sick leave pursuant to Section 15.2-4.