6.1

The salary ranges for all employees in the Law Enforcement representation unit will be as set forth in the Exhibits attached hereto and made a part hereof.

As reflected in the Exhibits, salaries for all covered classifications shall be adjusted as follows:

Effective the first full pay period following Board of Supervisors approval of a successor MOU (whichever is later), there shall be a three percent (3%) cost of living adjustment plus a one percent (1%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of 4%) for all represented classifications.

Effective December 15, 2019, there shall be a three percent (3%) cost of living adjustment plus a one percent (1%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of 4%) for all represented classifications.

Effective December 13, 2020, there shall be a cost of living adjustment for all represented classifications that is at least two percent (2%) and no more than three percent (3%), determined by the 2019-20 fiscal year average of Bureau of Labor Statistics San Francisco Bay Area Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all Urban Wage Earners. In addition, there shall be a one percent (1%) equity adjustment (for a total adjustment of 3% to 4%) for all represented classifications.

Effective December 12, 2021, there shall be a cost of living adjustment for all represented classifications that is at least two percent (2%) and no more than four percent (4%), determined by the 2020-21 fiscal year average of Bureau of Labor Statistics San Francisco Bay Area Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all Urban Wage Earners.

Effective December 11, 2022, there shall be a cost of living adjustment for all represented classifications that is at least two percent (2%) and no more than four percent (4%), determined by the 2021-22 fiscal year average of Bureau of Labor Statistics San Francisco Bay Area Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all Urban Wage Earners.

6.2

Except as herein otherwise provided, the entrance salary for a new employee entering County service shall be the minimum salary for the class to which appointed. When circumstances warrant, the HRD Director may, upon recommendation of the department head, approve an entrance salary which is more than the minimum salary. The HRD Director’s decision shall be final. Such a salary may not be more than the maximum salary for the class to which that employee is appointed unless such salary is designated as a Y rate by the Board of Supervisors.

6.3

Permanent and probationary employees serving in regular established positions shall be considered by the appointing authority on their salary anniversary dates for advancement to the next higher step in the salary schedule for their respective classes as follows. All increases shall be effective at the beginning of the next full pay period.

(1)   After completion of one thousand forty (1040) regular hours satisfactory service in Step A of the salary schedule, and upon recommendation of the appointing authority, the employee shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule for the class. If an employee is appointed at a step higher than the first step of the salary range for that class, the first merit increase shall be after completion of two thousand eighty (2080) regular hours of satisfactory service.

(2)   After completion of two thousand eighty (2080) regular hours satisfactory service in each of the salary steps above A, and upon recommendation of the appointing authority, the employee shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule for the class until the top of the range is reached.

(3)   If an employee completes the one thousand forty (1040) or two thousand eighty (2080) hours in the middle of a pay period, the employee shall be eligible for an increase as follows:

a. if the merit increase period is completed during the first week of a pay period the increase will be made effective the start of the then current pay period.

b. if the merit increase period is completed during the second week of a pay period the increase will be made effective with the start of the next period.

(4)   Upon the recommendation of the appointing authority and approval by the HRD Director, employees may receive special merit increases at intervals other than those specified in this Section. The HRD Director’s decision shall be final.

6.4

Employees shall be considered for salary step increases according to the date of their appointment or the revised salary adjustment hours balance. Changes in employees’ salary because of promotion, upward reclassification, postponement of salary step increase or special merit increase will set a new salary adjustment hours balance for that employee, which balance shall be as stated in the preceding paragraph.

Employees who are rejected during the probationary period and revert to their former class shall return to the salary adjustment hours balance held in the former class unless otherwise determined by the HRD Director. The salary adjustment hours balance for an employee shall not be affected by a transfer, downward reclassification or a demotion.

A permanent employee accepting provisional employment in a higher or different class in the County Classified Service, who reverts to the former class, shall retain the salary adjustment hours balance in the former class on the same basis as if there had been no such provisional appointment.

Salary range adjustments for a class will not set a new salary adjustment hours balance for employees serving in that class.

Upon recommendation of the appointing authority and approval of the HRD Director provisional, temporary, seasonal and extra help employees shall be advanced to the next higher step in the salary schedule upon completion of the periods of service prescribed in this Section, provided that their service has been satisfactory. Also, upon recommendation of the appointing authority and approval by the HRD Director, continuous service in a provisional, temporary, or extra help capacity shall be added to service in a regular established position for purposes of determining an employee’s salary adjustment hours balance, eligibility for salary increases, and vacation and sick leave accrual. However, such service may not be added if it preceded a period of over twenty‑eight consecutive calendar days during which the employee was not in a pay status, except when the employee is absent due to an injury or disease for which they are entitled to and currently receiving Worker’s Compensation benefits.

6.5 Salary Step When Salary Range Is Revised

Whenever the salary range for a class is revised, such incumbent in a position to which the revised schedule applies shall remain at the step in the previous range, unless otherwise specifically provided by the Board of Supervisors.

6.6 Salary Step After Promotion or Demotion

When an employee is promoted from a position in one class to a posi­tion in a higher class and at the time of promotion is receiving a base salary equal to or greater than the minimum base rate for the higher class, they shall be entitled to the next step in the salary schedule of the higher class which is at least one step above the rate they have been receiving, except that the next step shall not exceed the maximum salary of the higher class. When an employee is demoted, voluntarily or otherwise, their compensation shall be adjusted to the salary prescribed for the class to which demoted, and the specific rate of pay within the range shall be determined by the HRD Director, whose decision shall be final; provided, however, that the Board of Supervisors may provide for a rate of pay higher than the maximum step of the schedule for the class, and designate such rate of pay as a “Y” rate.

6.7 Reclassification of Position

An employee in a position reclassified downward shall have the right to either (1) transfer to a vacant position in their present class in the same or another department, provided the head of the department into which the transfer is proposed agrees, or (2) continue in the same position in the lower class at a “Y” rate of pay when their pay is higher than the maximum step of the salary range for the lower class.

6.8 “Y” Rate Process

When an employee is reclassified downward, they shall continue in their present salary range, with cost of living adjustments, for two years, at which point the employee’s salary shall be frozen (“Y” ‑ rated) until the salary assigned to the lower class equals or exceeds such “Y” rate. The “Y” rate provisions of this Section shall not apply to layoffs, demotions, or other personnel actions resulting in an incumbent moving from one position to another.

6.9 Salary Step Defined

For purposes of salary administration in this contract a step is defined as 5.74%.