COUNTY OF SAN MATEO
SUBJECT: Mail Bag Security
RESPONSIBLE DEPARTMENT: Employee and Public Services
APPROVED: County Manager
Date: June 28, 2000
This memorandum revises Mail security bags/treasurer deposit bags should not contain in excess of $4,000 in cash. The following procedures ensure the safe handling of money and other negotiable instruments by the County’s inter-office motorized Mail Service.
- All currency and other readily negotiable instruments carried by the County’s inter-office Mail-Service shall be transported in locked security bags supplied by Mail Services.
- The security bags used by departments are to be numbered sequentially to separately identify each bag and to provide proper identification for logging and receiving. Each bag shall have the pony number stenciled on the bag followed by a sequential number. For example: EPS 121-1, EPS 121-2, EPS 121-3.
- When a Mail Services Driver picks up a security bag(s) an employee of the sending department shall certify the pick up of each bag by initialing the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt in the designated column. If the Mail Services Driver is unable to obtain an initialing for the security bag the security bag will not be taken: The Mail Services Driver shall initial the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt in the designated column and leave one of the four parts of the receipt with the sending department.
Departments sending security bags in the a.m. pick-up should have them prepared in a timely manner to ensure the Mail Services Driver will be able to deliver them to the Treasurer’s Office by no later than 12:30 p.m. The Treasurer’s Office can not guarantee departments will receive same-day credit for deposits received after 12:30 p.m.
- The Mail Services Driver shall lock all security bags in the lock box in the van for transport between stops and to the delivery point.
- Mail Services Drivers shall follow internal procedures for receiving and securing security bags that are delivered to the Mail Room for afternoon or next day delivery.
- When the Mail Services Driver delivers a security bag(s), the receiving department shall certify delivery by signing the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt in the designated column. The Mail Services Driver shall initial the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt and leave two copies with the receiving department. The receiving department shall forward one copy of the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt to the originating department and retain one copy for their file.
If the Mail Services Driver is unable to obtain a signature at the receiving department the security bag will not be left but shall be forwarded to the Treasurer’s Office. An authorized employee of the receiving department may obtain undelivered security bags by picking the bag(s) up at the Treasurer’s Office.
The Mail Services Driver will retain a copy of the Mail Services Security Bag Receipt for the files in the Mail Services Division. The Lead Mail Services Driver shall be responsible for filling the Mail Services Security Bag Receipts with the monthly Mail Services reports.
- These procedures apply only to County offices outside the Government Center that are served by motorized mail service routes. Other offices, including those located in the Government Center, should make deposits directly to the Treasurer’s Office.
Download Mail Services Security Bag Receipt