The County may reimburse workers for tuition and related fees paid for courses of study taken in off-duty status if the subject matter is closely related to the worker’s present or probable future work assignments. Limits to the amount of reimbursable expense may be set by the Human Resources Director with the County Manager’s concurrence. There must be a reasonable expectation that the worker’s work performance or value to the County will be enhanced as a result of the course of study. Courses taken as part of a program of study for a college undergraduate or graduate degree, or for courses taken as part of a program of study for a trades certificate at a bona fide institution of learning as required by the Fair Labor Standards Act, will be evaluated individually for job relatedness under the above criteria. The worker must both begin and successfully complete the course while employed by the County.

The worker must apply on the prescribed form to their department head giving all information needed for an evaluation of the request. The department head shall recommend approval or disapproval and forward the request to the Human Resources Director whose decision shall be final. In order to be reimbursed the worker’s application must have been approved before enrolling in the course. If a course is approved and later found to be unavailable a substitute course may be approved after enrollment. Upon completion of the course the worker must submit to Human Resources a request for reimbursement accompanied by a copy of the school grade report or a certificate of completion. Human Resources shall, if it approves the request, forward it to the Controller for payment. Reimbursement may include the costs of tuition and related fees. The County will reimburse up to $50.00 per course for books and other required course materials (excluding laptops and other electronic devices) under conditions specified in the Tuition Reimbursement program. Reimbursement for books will only be made for community college, undergraduate level or graduate level courses.