Regular full-time workers in established positions shall be entitled to take all authorized holidays at full pay, not to exceed 8 hours for any one day, provided they are in a full pay status on both their regularly scheduled workdays immediately preceding and following the holiday. Part-time workers shall be entitled to holiday pay, not to exceed 8 hours for any one day, in proportion to the average percentage of hours worked during the two pay periods without holidays immediately preceding the pay period which includes the holiday
The holidays for the County are:
(1) January 1 (New Year’s Day)
(2) Third Monday in January (Martin Luther King, Jr’s Birthday)
(3) February 12* (Lincoln’s Birthday)*
(4) Third Monday in February (Washington’s Birthday)
(5) Last Monday in May (Memorial Day)
(6) July 4 (Independence Day)
(7) First Monday in September (Labor Day)
(8) Second Monday in October (Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
(9) November 11 (Veterans Day)
(10) Fourth Thursday in November (Thanksgiving Day)
(11) Friday following Thanksgiving Day
(12) December 25 (Christmas)
(13) Every day appointed by the President of the United States or the Governor of the State of California to be a day of public mourning, thanksgiving, or holiday. The granting of such holidays shall be discretionary with the Board of Supervisors.
*Effective February 2001, the Lincoln’s Birthday holiday shall be eliminated and replaced with a floating holiday (8 hours of holiday time) which will accrue on February 12. This provision shall not apply to workers of the Office of the District Attorney who shall continue to observe Lincoln’s Birthday as a holiday.
If the legislature or the Governor appoints a date different from the one shown above for the observance of one of these holidays, then San Mateo County shall observe the holiday on the date appointed by the Legislature or the Governor.
Workers of the Office of the District Attorney will observe all Saturday holidays on the Friday preceding said holiday instead of being credited with a floating holiday.
Winter Recess Days
- Effective in December 2019 and December 2020, the County shall provide two (2) paid winter recess holidays (the equivalent of sixteen (16) hours for a full time employee) per year.
- For a two (2) day period designated by the County between December 26th and December 31st of each year during the term of this 2018 MOU, the County agrees to hold a Winter Recess. During the Winter Recess, County departments and divisions employing members of this SEIU collective bargaining unit may move to minimum staffing levels and/or close business, depending on the needs of the department and the public served. Which departments and divisions will close or go to minimum staffing and which bargaining unit members will be required to work is entirely within the discretion of the Appointing Authority or their designee. The determination for closure shall be made by the Department Head and subject to County Manager and Board of Supervisors’ approval.
- During the Winter Recess, regular full-time workers in established positions shall be entitled to eight (8) hours of full pay for each day of the two-day Winter Recess, provided they are in a full pay status on both their regularly scheduled workdays immediately preceding and following the holiday. Part-time workers shall be entitled to holiday pay, not to exceed eight (8) hours for any one (1) day, in proportion to the average percentage of hours worked during the two (2) pay periods without holidays immediately preceding the pay period which includes the holiday.
- If either of the Winter Recess days falls on a day the worker is not regularly scheduled to work, or if a worker is required to work on a Winter Recess day, the employee shall be entitled to equivalent straight time off with pay. “Winter Recess” exchange days shall be scheduled in the same manner as vacation, unless the department’s policy is to schedule vacation per a vacation sign up list, in which case these days shall be scheduled in the same manner as a Floating Holiday. This equivalent time off is limited to sixteen (16) hours, with any time earned in excess of thirty-two (32) hours forfeited. If a worker leaves County service with accrued Winter Recess hours, those hours will be cashed out with terminal pay. Workers working on a Winter Recess day shall be compensated in accordance with the provisions of this MOU.
- Winter Recess hours will not be included as hours worked for the purpose of calculating overtime.
If one of the holidays listed above falls on Sunday, the holiday will be observed on a Monday.
If any of the holidays listed above falls on a day other than Sunday and the worker is not regularly scheduled to work that day, or if a worker is required to work on a holiday, they shall be entitled to equivalent straight time off with pay. This equivalent time off is limited to 120 hours with any time earned in excess of 120 hours cashed out at the equivalent straight time rate. If a worker leaves County service with accrued holiday hours, those hours will be cashed out.
Workers working on a holiday shall be compensated for such time worked at the rate of one and one-half (11/2) times the straight-time rate. This compensation may, at the worker’s option, be in the form of overtime pay or compensatory time off, but not a combination of the two.
In accordance with the leave approval provisions of Section 19.2, workers may use floating holiday time earned for Saturday holidays on the Friday immediately preceding the holiday. This is not intended to mean that management approval is not required for use of this time, but is intended to allow workers to use the floating holiday on the day before it is actually earned.