COUNTY OF SAN MATEO
SUBJECT: Travel Expenses Financed by Others
RESPONSIBLE DEPARTMENT: County Manager
DATE: February 1, 1985
In most cases travel expenses which benefit San Mateo County are authorized by established procedures and are financed by the county. There are occasions when transportation and lodging expenses can be paid by sources other than the county. In specific cases these expenses can be paid by private businesses or consultants. In these instances the following conditions shall apply:
- The travel of a county employee will enhance the information or knowledge necessary to facilitate the most appropriate decision from the county’s point of view.
- The reimbursement of travel expenses should only include the county employee or employees directly involved with the county business requiring the trip.
- The private firm should not pay travel expenses of the county employee directly. Instead the expenses should be paid by the county and then be reimbursed by the outside source. This requirement does not apply if the costs are paid by another government agency. In that ease the employee can be reimbursed directly.
- Travel expenses of this type will be reimbursed in accordance with Ordinance 02470 which governs all travel expenses by county. employees.
- Authorization for travel of the type described requires approval by the appropriate department head and the County Manager.