- Open Examinations: Any person who meets the minimum qualifications for the job classification may compete.
- General Promotional Examinations: Permanent and probationary employees who have served at least six (6) months in such status prior to the date of the examination are eligible to compete. Persons who have been laid off and whose names are on a reemployment list are also eligible provided they had served at least six months prior toPersons in unclassified positions who previously held positions in the classified service and who did not have a break in County service between the classified and unclassified appointments are eligible to compete provided that they have at least six months total service prior to the final date to file an application.
- Departmental Promotional Examinations: Permanent and probationary employees of departments in which a promotional opportunity exists who have served at least six (6) months in such status prior to the date of the examination are eligible to Persons who have been laid off and whose names appear on the appropriate departmental reemployment eligible list are also eligible provided they had served at least six months prior to layoff.
- Open and Promotional Examinations: Any person who meets the minimum qualifications for the job class may compete. In addition, any person competing in this type of an examination, who meets the criteria described in (2) above, shall have five (5) points added to the final passing score.
- Qualifying Examinations:
- Qualifying examinations may be given to probationary and permanent County employees for specifically designed position reclassifications, transfers, demotions and alternately staffed classifications.
- The name of an employee who has successfully passed a qualifying exam shall be placed on the eligible list for the class for which examined. The Director may place the name of an employee on such eligible list with or without an examination If an exam score is assigned, such employee’s rank on that eligible list shall be based on the exam score, as determined by the Director. Such examinations shall not require the publication of an examination notice.
Veterans preference shall not apply to promotional examinations.
24. 2 Promotional Eligible Lists
- General Promotional Eligible Lists: The names of applicants successful in general promotional examinations shall be placed on general promotional eligible lists for the classifications examined.
- Departmental Promotional Eligible Lists: The names of applicants successful in departmental promotional exams shall be placed on departmental promotional eligible lists for the classes examined.
- These lists shall take precedence over General Eligible Lists.
- If, at the time of termination, an employee’s name appears on a promotional eligible list, their name shall be removed from the promotional list and placed on the open competitive eligible list for that classification in accordance with their final score.
24. 3 Probationary Period
Permanent employees who are promoted to a higher class shall undergo the probationary period prescribed for the higher class, but shall have the right to demote to their former class if rejected during their probationary period, except that trainees who are promoted to journey level classes shall not have the right to revert to their former trainee classes if rejected during the probationary period.