First, review the Dealing with the Impaired Employee: Employee Relations Bulletin 5, located under Procedures.
If you suspect that an employee is under the influence of alcohol or drugs while at work it is recommended that you take the following steps:
- Note your observations using the Objective Signs of Impairment Checklist. This form is available in the Employee Relations Handbook and can be obtained by following the directions outlined above.
- Ask another manager or supervisor to complete a checklist without reviewing the checklist you completed.
- If the other manager or supervisor also has concerns that the employee is impaired from performing his/her duties, you should send the employee home. Do not allow the employee to drive. Do not allow another employee to drive them. You may have the employee call a friend or a family member, or you may call a taxi to take him/her home.
- When the employee returns to work, their supervisor or manager should conduct an investigatory interview.
- Contact Employee Relations for guidance on the appropriate action to take.