The following list summarizes the various benefit programs in effect for employees as of April 1, 2011:
- MEDICAL (Active): The County pays 90% of the total premium for OE3, 85% of the Kaiser or Blue Shield HMO (workers pay 15% of the total premium) and the County pays 75% of the total premium for Blue Shield (workers pay 25% of the total premium). For full time employees enrolled in the Kaiser or Blue Shield High Deductible Health Plan, the County will annually contribute fifty percent (50%) of the cost of the deductible amount for the plan to a Health Savings Account. For part time employees working half time or more, the County’s contribution to the Health Savings Account shall be prorated based on their part time status.
MEDICAL (Retiree): See Section 20.2
DENTAL: All employees must participate in a plan.
County Plan: County pays 90% of premium
1st year: $100 cap on deductible
60% UCR paid to dentists
2nd year: No deductible
85% UCR paid to dentists
Annual maximum of $2500/person
If recommended by dentist and approved by plan, cleanings may be more frequent than every six (6) months; employees may appeal plan rejections – see Plan Description Booklet.
Effective January 1, 2007, the County Plan offered a tooth replacement implant benefit:
– Replacement of any missing single tooth in the esthetic region of the upper teeth.
– Annual maximum of $1,000/person
– Paid at 85% of the billed amount, subject to the $1,000 annual maximum benefit
Delta Dental PMI: See brochure.
VISION: VSP: San Mateo County Plan B with $10.00 co-pay each on examination and materials for employees and dependents. Premiums paid by County.
* Domestic partners and young adult dependents are included in the above plans. Children and young adult dependents of domestic partners are included.
* Grandchildren of custodial grandparents will be considered eligible dependents on all health, dental and vision plans provided there is documentation of primary responsibility and approval by the affected benefit plan. This will occur with or without formal adoption.
LIFE INSURANCE: County paid $20,000 for employee. $500.00 for spouse, and up to $500/child.
LONG TERM DISABILITY: County paid premiums. Must be employed by County 3 or more years to be eligible.
Maximum benefit: $2400 monthly
FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT: Effective January 1, 2004, the County implemented an IRC Section 125 Medical Spending Account.
This is a summary of various benefit programs in effect for eligible employees. The descriptions are very general and are not intended to provide complete details about any or all plans. Exact specification for all plans are provided in the official Plan Documents, copies of which are available from Payroll Specialists or the Human Resources Department, Benefits Division. Where there is a difference between the description on these pages and the Plan Documents, the Plan Documents prevail. Please note that benefits are subject to change by the Plans and there is no guarantee that these benefits will be continued indefinitely. However, the County agrees to continue negotiated coverage as it currently exists unless such coverage is no longer offered by the plans.