COUNTY OF SAN MATEO
SUBJECT: Destruction of Confidential Documents
RESPONSIBLE DEPARTMENT: Information Services
DATE: March 28, 1997
The Information Services Department, through the Central Records Center, provides a service for the destruction of obsolete and confidential records. All documents will be recycled by a recycling company, and confidential documents will be shredded prior to recycling.
Procedures for use of this service are as follows:
- A memorandum addressed to the Administrator, Central Records Center, Pony ISD336 is required for the removal and destruction of the records. The memorandum should address:
- The number of boxes or files
- The general content of the material
- The Department’s full street address where the boxes/files are located
- A Department-authorized contact person’s name and his or her telephone number
- The Central Records Center Administrator will contact the department following receipt of the memorandum to coordinate picking up the records.
- The requesting department must place documents in heavy cardboard boxes and tape boxes shut to eliminate breakage or spillage. In addition, if the boxes contain confidential records, they must be sealed and clearly marked with a felt tip pen indicating that they contain confidential records.
Any boxes NOT properly sealed and marked are assumed to contain non-confidential records.
- All records must be transported to the Central Records Center or destruction site in an enclosed vehicle. When records are picked up at the department locations, it is the responsibility of the requesting department to supervise the loading of the records onto the transporting truck. No confidential records are to be left where an unauthorized person can gain access to them.
- A copy of the Certificate of Destruction for confidential records will be maintained on file in the Central Records Center. If the department wants a copy of the certificate, it will be provided upon request within thirty days following destruction of the records.