(1) Open Examinations: Any person who meets the minimum qualifications for the job classification may compete.
(2) General Promotional Examinations: Permanent and probationary employees who have served at least six (6) months in such status prior to the date of the examination are eligible to compete. Persons who have been laid off and whose names are on a reemployment list are also eligible provided they had served at least six (6) months prior to lay off.
(3) Departmental Promotional Examinations: Permanent and probationary employees of the specific department in which a promotional opportunity exists who have served at least six (6) months in such status prior to the date of the examination are eligible to compete. Persons who have been laid off and whose names appear on the appropriate departmental reemployment eligible list are also eligible provided they had served at least six (6) months prior to lay off.
(4) Open and Promotional Examinations: Any person who meets the minimum qualifications for the job classification may compete. In addition, any person competing in this type of examination and who meets the criteria described in 24.1 (2) above, shall have five (5) points added to the final passing score.
(5) Qualifying Examinations:
(a) Qualifying examinations may be given to probationary and permanent County employees for specifically designated position reclassification, transfers, demotions and alternately staffed classifications.
(b) The name of an employee who has successfully passed a qualifying examination shall be placed on the eligible list for the classification for which examined. The Human Resources Director may place the name of an employee on such eligible list with or without an examination score. If an examination score is assigned, such employee’s rank on the eligible list shall be based on the examination score, as determined by the Director. Such examinations shall not require the publication of an examination notice.
(6) Veterans preference shall not apply to promotional examinations.
24.2. Promotional Eligible Lists
(1) General Promotional Eligible Lists: The names of applicants successful in general promotional examinations shall be placed on general promotional eligible lists for the classifications examined.
(2) Departmental Promotional Eligible Lists: The names of applicants successful in departmental promotional examinations shall be placed on departmental promotional eligible lists for the classifications examined.
These lists shall take precedence over General Eligible Lists.
(3) If, at the time of termination, an employee’s name appears on a promotional eligible list, their name shall be removed from the promotional list and placed on the open competitive eligible list for that classification in accordance with the employee’s final score.
24.3. Probationary Period
Permanent employees who are promoted to a higher classification shall undergo the probationary period prescribed for the higher classification but shall have the right to demote to their former classification in their former department if a vacancy in their former classification exists. If no vacancy exists, such employees shall be placed in the longest standing vacancy, as determined by the requisition form date, County-wide. If no vacancy exists such employees shall displace the least senior employee as determined by Civil Service Rule XVI. If no less senior position exists, then the employee shall be removed from County service.